Sunday 13 May 2012

Final Blog Afternon Wrap #0291

The techinical difficulties of using very slippery and stretchy fabric took a lot longer to sort out after what I thought was good progress a few weekends ago. I was not satisfied with the collar and recut it using the lining fabric as the collar lining, as the fabric I chose- (a fine cotton silk blend) was far to floppy, very strechy, easily creased and didn't sit correctly when sewed to the satin.  The material needed a rounded needle too - I only had a sharp pointed set of needles.
The wrap without the belt
I ended up unpicking most of the work this weekend that  I had done and resewing it using a walking foot that gave a more even stitch by moving the fabric evenly under the foot.  I tried using it before on this wrap but it caught on the sile fabric, making uneven pulling marks, so I didn't use it.  Once I used the lining on the recut collar though, I could sew along the neckline with the walking foot without it catching the fabric.  Otherwise I would have to revert to sewing with tissue over the top of the fabric.

I still have problems with the seams stitch pulling along the seams under the arms. It sits well once it is ironed, but then contracts back again to look rumpled. When I wear it it is not so noticable. Part of the problem is my overlocker tention was incorrect for this fabric and tended to have a slight gather depending on the direction in which trhe fabri seam was sewn.
The white tassels using two large buttons
The white tassels were used to pick up a white fleck in the fabric pattern but looked very boring jyut hanging there. I used two white and gold buttons threaded through each of the 4 tassels cords placing the buttons back to back for additional interest.

Wrap fastening using two buttons and a ribbon
As I hadn't made the front quite wide enough to overlap as per the wrap pattern, I elected to compromise and have two orange and gold buttons placed under the each collar piece that were joined by a yellow ribbon that hooked over the buttion to hold the wrap together.
I have made a belt to go with this as another wearing option using the indian orange beaded border that I also lined with yellow lining same as the wrap.



No comments:

Post a Comment