Sunday 13 May 2012

VPLL Checklist for Ladies Afternoon Wrap #0291



  1. Pattern Name Ladies Afternoon Wrap #0291
  2. Sewer’s Skill Level: Advanced, Intermediate, Beginner- Beginner
  3. Pattern Rating: 1-Not a Fan, 2 – So-So, 3 – Good/Average, 4-Better than Average, 5-I LOVED IT! and why? 3. Good/average, The pattern is simple and quite dramatic with the feature of the four tassels. The wrap is comfortable and sits well on the shoulders and arms held in place by the front fastening and belt and weight of the sleeve tassells.
  4. What skill level would someone need to sew this pattern and why? Beginner for plain fabrics if the wrap is not lined. Trying to get a professional finish for the wrap was most fiddly for the satin and silk cotton fabric I selected and to get the collar to sit evenly and correctly.  This was probably due to using incorrect serger tension that I had used to control the fraying fabric.  I needed to use my sewing machine walking foot earlier. Hand finishing was minimal but careful pressing was very important.
  5. Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, but it did assume you knew what to do to ensure the collar points and front edge was aligned at the front seam.  I chose to line the wrap and followed the instructions for lining. If not, what needs to be changed? Advice on the collar fixing would be good with simple diagrams and marks on the front piece where  the collar is to align with would be good to ensure each collar point is even. The pattern layout picture showed 2 pieces cut out on the same fabric placement, that is incorrect.  I joined all the lining right sides together with the wrap fabric after fixing the collar first. I sewed the seams from the back neck down either side separately to even up the seam sewing line due to the  stretch of my misbehaving fabric. I left the bottom back open to minimise hand sewing and ensure all final checking was done before competing the last seam.
  6. How was the fit/sizing? Did it correspond to what you thought? It printed out accurately to advertised size 34 inch waistThe bust and shoulder darts did not need adjustment and fitted nicely. The pattern made up unlike the pattern diagram that shows the sleeve length well above the elbow.
  7. Did you make any pattern alterations? If so, what alterations did you make? Where they fit or design alterations? I enlarged it to fit a non- Edwardian body shape to fit for a size 44 inch bust. Adding a few centimetres on each of the front panels worked well and spread the enlargement proportionally but I should have added more for an overlapping front.  I altered the fastening with two buttons with a ribbon loop.I made a belt that was wide enough to cover the button fasteneing and gatther in the waist a little, if I chose to wear it that way too. I lengthened the sleeves and I did not put in the waist gathers. I did not overlay the sleeve trim as the instructions said, as my trim fabric was transparent and showed the pattern through. I would have had to line the sleeve trim as well otherwise making it too thick to drape nicely. So I cut four sleeve trim bias strips and sewed two pairs together then added them on the end of each sleeve. This effectively lengthened the sleeves that then sat just past the elbows. I positioned each tassel along the middle seam line.
  8. Other notes: I would recommend the best kinds of fabric to use. I would recommend this pattern to others as it feels wonderful to wear and looks exotic.  The belt  material I used was a wide indian bead embroidered trim that I lined with the same fabric as the wrap. It covers the two front buttons if I choose to wear it that way.
Conclusion: I will make this wrap again in a different fabric, it is very flattering and feels elegant to wear.
 

1 comment:

  1. A very nice piece! Nice write up of the pattern. I hope that you are having as much fun as I am on these projects.

    ReplyDelete