Friday 22 June 2012

Other sewing projects

Its been quite  a while since I sewed a 1912 Project pattern. I have though, been very busy sewing and learning about how to get more use out of my sewing machine and reading sewing technique books.  And developing a manic determination to get things right.

Sewing Books

The latest books I have are The Sewing Machine Accessory Bible by Wendy Gardiner and Lorna Knight. This book prompted me tocontact my friend that I have given my old Bernina to that had odd sewing feet attachments I never did learn what they were for. She said she would never use them so I asked for them back. I also invested in an invisible zip attachment.

Then my sewing machine lost its setting for automatic buttonholes and I took it to the shop for a service. So I haven't had time to practice with the new toys:tailors tacking foot, embroidery foot, invisible zipper foot, pin tuck foot and hemmer foot.

The Complete Photo Guide to Fitting by Sarah Veblen is a book I like a lot because it has 650 photos of how clothes don't fit then shows you the adjustments to make to make it fit better.

I was then inspired to make my own duct tape manikin form of my husband so I can stick pins into it without it complaining.   I stuffed it with newspaper, stiffened it with gap filling foam and he put it on a frame with lockable wheels. I followed the instructions via a  u-tube video. The foam over expanded and changed his shape humpback with one side of his chest bigger than the other.

I had to disassemble it, cover him in recycled duct tape and try again. Not before I had to clean off the sticky adhesive from around the edges of my kitchen bench that I had attached the end of the  recycled strips of duct tape on to, so I could use then again.

How to make Sewing Patterns by Donald McCunn- I haven't got into this one  much yet but I hope that it will help me understand the patterns better when I adjust them and they don't sit right.


 4 Greek Robes for 'Immacculate' a prodcuton by BackYard Theatre

I finished these in a long weekend for the cast of four. I make up my own standard pattern using their measurements and they went together well. The material was from the Fabric Warehouse a black stretch material with a wide satin band stripe, it had to be full length and quite thick to cover their actors own costumes.

The feedback I got from rehearsals was 'Awesome!'. Another person has made the masks to go with them and the opeing night is in July. Hopefuly I will get photos then too.

No comments:

Post a Comment