Saturday 21 April 2012

VPLL Checklist for Ladies Skirt #0200


VPLL Checklist
  1. Pattern Name Ladies Skirt #0200
  2. Sewer’s Skill Level: Advanced, Intermediate, Beginner- Beginner
  3. Pattern Rating: 1-Not a Fan, 2 – So-So, 3 – Good/Average, 4-Better than Average, 5-I LOVED IT! and why? 3. Good/average, The pattern is simple and quite dramatic with the feature of scallop trim and buttons. The high waist is comfortable and goes well with the Edwardian style short length of their blouses.
  4. What skill level would someone need to sew this pattern and why? Beginner for everything except for the bias scallop trim. Trying to get a professional finish for the corners of the scalloped trim  was most fiddly.  This was probably due to me reusing old bias binding and pinning it on for effect for the muslin photo below.
  5. Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, but I had to read them over quite a few times as the pattern is so different from modern patterns. If not, what needs to be changed? Advice on the bias trim corner fixing would be good with simple diagrams. The skirt pattern picture showed the scallops on the wrong side.
  6. How was the fit/sizing? Did it correspond to what you thought? It printed out accurately to advertised size 34 inch waist.
  7. Did you make any pattern alterations? If so, what alterations did you make? Where they fit or design alterations?  I enlarged it to fit a non- Edwardian body shape to fit for a size 22-24. Adding a few centimetres on each of the front panels worked well and spread the enlargement proportionally. The back was more problematic. I had to add a lot more at the back as well as two darts and add more of a design pattern curve to fit my sway back shape. I took the added dart placement and depth from a modern pattern I knew fit me well. I made fit and length alterations for all the  pattern pieces
  8. Other notes: I would recommend hand covered buttons in the same material or colour of the trim would look very smart.  I would recommend this pattern to others, but only for slim women if you don't want to redraft the sizing like I did.
  9. 
    Ladies Skirt #0200
Conclusion: This skirt would also look smart made up as a shorter calf length version with Ladies Blouse #0191 that I have also blogged about. I will make this skirt in heavier winter weight wool with contrasting buttons along the scalloped edge.

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! Hoping to get mine mostly finished today. Should just have the darn buttons left:-)

    ReplyDelete