Friday 30 March 2012

Blouse #1091 Sleeve problems solved

It's strange that problem solving around 3am seems to work for me. I have had a break for 2 weekends from sewing this blouse and this break has worked, I suddenly realised what was wrong.

I hadn't understood the different shape of the sleeve blouse and that the sleeve seam is mean to align with the centre of the forearm when the arm is extended out palm out.  This makes it naturally curve round the elbow- very clever. When I had originally enlarged the pattern, I had followed the original pattern mark on the bodice front without allowing for the fact I had enlarged the pattern pieces a lot. This had the effect of twisting the sleeves so they hung incorrectly.  Eureka!
By more than doubling the sleeve mark distance up towards the shoulder the sleeve magically became the right shape and sits well.

Now I can make up the blouse for me.  Curently I am so happy that the blouse hadn't beaten me after all that I am sitting here wearing the pinned and tacked blouse and it is so comfortable.  I will publish the finished blouse photos after I have made it up properly.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, I would never have worked that out. Thank you for solving the problem. I'm going to have to enlarge all the patterns so need to watch out for this sort of thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane,it's all looking very cool! I shall watch your progress with pleasure. Also, you are yours are very welcome to join us for shop warming tomorrow from 5pm at Made on Marion. I'd love to see you! Maryanne

    ReplyDelete