Saturday 3 March 2012

Ladies' Skirt #0200 4 Feb 1912

The stormy weather arrived as expected - strong gale force winds and heavy rain. Perfect weather for sewing. On Saturday morning we braved the weather to request a refund for the $399 Project  Runway dress form I had paid for and ordered in early January from Spotlight. Then off to Kilbernie shops to buy a second hand Singer dress form for $199 - original box and instructions intact. The friendly staff gave me some tips on how to get the form to echo my form- so to speak. She said put an old bra on it that still fits and stuff the cups with dacron.  The old pillow dacron worked well for padding out the hips and waist to my measurements. And I stilll had $200 left!

Redrafting the Back.

Now I could really start work on the skirt. Double checking the measurements on the 34 inch waist paper pattern the  I found that  adding a few centimeters on each of the front panels worked well and spread the enlargement proportionally. The back was more problematic. You can see below how much I had to add as well as a dart and more of a curve to fit my shape. The dart placement and depth was taken from a modern pattern I knew that did fit me well.


I had made sure I had extra material to play around with and I used the french curve to help me pin out the right shape to test on my new dress form before I tacked it.

Adjusting to fit


No comments:

Post a Comment